GNDR is currently seeking a talented professional for the role of Regional Development Coordinator, Eastern Africa. The RDC role encompasses a wide range of tasks and responsibilities to serve our membership in Eastern Africa, designed to support development, coordination and implementation of our strategy, work plans and budgets, including the mobilisation of adequate resources. This RDC position will be based in Uganda. It is a full-time position.
The Global Network of Civil Society Organisations (GNDR) was established in 2007 as a voluntary network of civil society organisations who are committed to working together, and engaging with partners and other stakeholders to increase community resilience and reduce disaster risk around the world. The network is growing and currently has over 850 member organisations in over 140 countries across virtually every geographical region of the world.
A vibrant, active, collaborative civil society supporting people and their communities, particularly poor and vulnerable groups, to prepare for, mitigate, respond to and recover from disasters and adapt to extreme hazards, shocks and disturbances in a changing climate.
GNDR's “Stronger Together” strategy 2016-2020 has three mutually reinforcing objectives:
- Increase the impact of civil society in influencing policies and practices at local, national, national and international levels.
- Enhance the collaboration capabilities of civil society and cooperation with other stakeholders
- Strengthen the creation, analysis and sharing of knowledge
Main purpose of the role
The Regional Development Coordinators (RDC) form part of the GNDR Secretariat that serves the wider membership from a global hub in London, UK and regional hubs in Africa, Asia and Latin America. The RDC role encompasses a wide range of tasks and responsibilities designed to support development, coordination and implementation of strategy, work plans and budgets, including the mobilisation of adequate resources. This RDC position will be based in Uganda and will cover Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. The RDC should be a national of one of these countries. GNDR will support their right to reside in Uganda, should it be required.
Position in Organisation
- Part of the GNDR Secretariat team and active participant in cross-team working groups.
- The position will be line managed by the Network Development Manager
- Works in close collaboration with all Secretariat staff, Global Board, Regional Advisory Groups and wider GNDR membership
- Posts are based in the geographical region with strong communication links across the region
- Potentially responsible for the recruitment, supervision and guidance of a regional-based Regional Assistant, dependent on funds
Overall Scope of the Role
- Strategy Coordination and Implementation
- Network Development
- Communications and Reporting
- Membership Management and Support
- Knowledge Management
- External Relations / Representation
- Resource Mobilisation
- Support to GNDR’s Governance
- Advocacy and Campaigns
- Events and Conferences
1. Strategy Coordination and Implementation
- Provide technical assistance and support for the regional coordination and facilitation of GNDR programmes and activities across the region undertaken by members in accordance with GNDR strategy, annual work plans and budgets
- Maintain healthy relationships and two-way communications with secretariat staff, Board, partners and advisors including periodic face to face meetings and regular conference calls and email exchanges.
- Lead on the development, management, implementation and reporting of regional operational plans and regional budgets
- As appropriate support the coordination and implementation of GNDR global programmes and initiatives e.g. Views from the Frontline; global advocacy campaigns
- Assist with the overall monitoring, reporting and evaluation of GNDR objectives, outcomes and global / regional budgets
- Line management and guidance of regional-based Regional Assistant, dependent on funds.
- Manage hosting arrangements for the regional office, including MOUs, budgets and contracts
- Liaise closely with the Regional Advisory Group for Eastern Africa, including organising periodic meetings and conference calls
2. Network Development
- Strengthen GNDR regional institutional and operational capacities at regional and national levels, including enhancing collaboration via GNDR’s online Community Platform (Salesforce)
- Assist with the strengthening of regional / national DRR networking capacities and infrastructure, particularly in countries / regions with under-developed infrastructure
- Active participant in relevant internal cross-team working groups.
- Liaise with regional members on ideas / suggestions for continued enhancement of GNDR network and other regional / national networks, platforms and alliances
- Lead on the legal registration of GNDR within host country
3. Communications and Reporting
- In close consultation with the Communications Coordinator, proactively support and facilitate communications and feedback between Secretariat and membership
- Contribute to the gathering, analysis, collation, preparation and dissemination of periodic regional updates, briefing notes and progress reports relevant to the regional context and/or priorities / concerns of GNDR members
- Encourage and foster interaction and communications between regional-based membership as appropriate, including social media opportunities
- Assist with the preparation of regional programmatic reports and strategy progress updates for the management, Global Board, partners and donors
- As appropriate, ensure regional and London-based Secretariat are kept informed of regional developments, opportunities, concerns and challenges
4. Membership Management and Support
- Active recruitment of new members working in DRR in the region, supported by Board and RAG members
- Dealing with general enquiries and providing advice and support to members on network issues
- Assist with registration and re-categorisation processes
- Maintenance of GNDR regional databases and groups on the Community Platform
- Lead on organising periodic regional meetings, conference calls and seminar with regional members
5. Knowledge Management
- Support members to share ideas, experiences, learning and good practices within and across countries and region
- Strengthen linkages between members and regional-based academia and research institutions
- Support peer-to-peer exchanges, regional study tours, action research and similar activities
6. External Relations / Representation
- Mapping of regional state and non-state stakeholders, platforms and association
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with regional-based stakeholders, including national governments, UN agencies, institutional donors, development banks, media, partner organisations and networks
- Representation of GNDR in regional and national events, seminars, workshops and conferences
- Position GNDR as a “leading” resilience / DRR / development network supporting civil society to more effectively engage in issues of disaster prevention, resilience and sustainable development
7. Resource Mobilisation
- Research opportunities and develop relationships with regionally-based institutional donors, trusts and foundations
- Lead on the development and submission of high quality funding applications at national / regional levels, with support from the Fundraising Coordinator
- Lead on the management of donor-funded contracts, including preparation of donor progress reports (narratives and financial), with support from the Fundraising Coordinator
- Support training and capacity building activities to enhance fundraising of GNDR member regional-based CSO networks and platforms
8. Support to GNDR’s Governance
- Develop and maintain good working relationships and regular communications with GNDR regionally-appointed Global Board members
- Assist Board members to engage with members and fulfil Board duties and responsibilities
- In conjunction with Secretariat and Board members support the ongoing development and enhancement of GNDR governance arrangements at all levels
9. Advocacy and Campaigns
- In close consultation with Advocacy and Learning Coordinator, support the coordination and implementation of national / regional evidence-based advocacy and campaigns
- Support GNDR advocacy staff in policy lobbying and campaign activities at global, regional and national levels
10. Events and Conferences
- Assist in the planning, organisation and coordination of major events, conferences and seminars
- Support members with travel and logistics support to participate in GNDR workshops / events at global, regional, national levels
A complete person specification including attributes and skills considered essential and/or desirable, with regard to qualifications, experience, skills, abilities and personal qualities, RDC_EASTERN_AFRICA_JOB_DESCRIPTION.pdf, including terms of employment.
Phone / Skype and/or face-to-face interviews will be arranged for short-listed candidates on a rolling basis. Only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline for applications is 15th July 2018.
[Please note that only applicants from Eastern Africa can apply]
Please download the following for a list of specific duties and responsibilities, a detailed person specification of essential and desirable attributes/skills, as well as terms of employment: