- Participants: 18 GNDR members and key stakeholders from Europe & North America
- Place: Paris, France.
- Organisers: GNDR Global Hub and Action Contre La Faim
- Supporters: We thank DFID for supporting this event
With an agreement on the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR), and with the other post-2015 frameworks and the World Humanitarian Summit on the horizon, we are now faced with the important task of identifying what our role is in ensuring these agreements build local level resilience. These changes lead us to question what the value added of European and North American civil society is in the years to come. We therefore felt it was critical for us to come together to identify the role of civil society and how we can work together and with others to strengthen action at the local level to improve community resilience.
A number of organisations began discussions around this theme at a GNDR Europe and North America regional dialogue during the World Conference for DRR in March, and we were keen to extend these conversations. At the same time, GNDR’s current strategy will be ending in 2015 and will replaced with a new strategy. As part of this process we are holding these regional workshops to consult with our members on areas to focus on over the next three years. With these two areas in mind, GNDR, in conjunction with our member Action Contre La Faim, hosted a regional workshop in Paris to bring together GNDR members, other civil society networks, and external partners together towards achieving the following desired outcomes:
- To identify participants’ shared resilience building priorities and regional added value for the next 5 years;
- To identify the collaborative activities participants want to work together on to ensure local level impact;
- To identify ways in which GNDR and other networks can support these activities, to inform GNDR’s new strategy; and
- To identify partnerships and coalitions to strengthen civil society implementation of post-2015 frameworks.
The workshop involved lots of debate, games and group work and led to a range of activities being highlighted as a priority for civil society, and specifically GNDR. A report will soon be produced highlighting the outcomes.
How can you get involved?
GNDR members interested in participating in this event need to contact their Regional Development Coordinator. The final selection will be based around providing a balanced representation of the regional membership in terms of size, geographical spread and goals of individual GNDR member organisations. For more information, before or after the event, please contact the GNDR Europe & North America Regional Development Coordinator عنوان البريد الإلكتروني هذا محمي من روبوتات السبام. يجب عليك تفعيل الجافاسكربت لرؤيته..
Downloads & Links
- Agenda: Agenda_Europe_and_North_America_Regional_Workshop.pdf182.7 KB
- GNDR Strategy: GNDR strategy 2012-2015 ENGLISH3.12 MB
- Background document: Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction ENGLISH430.8 KB
- Outcome document: Agenda_Europe_and_North_America_Regional_Workshop.pdf195.3 KB