- Participants: disaster risk management practitioners in Asia from across the development and humanitarian sectors, and various other institutions including regional entities, UN agencies, NGOs, Red Cross/Crescent Movement, CSOs, Academia, Think-Tanks, etc.). Technical experts from relevant government agencies have also attended the previous workshops
- Place: Bangkok, Thailand | 23-25 November 2015.
- Organisers: Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), together with IFRC, UNDP, FAO and ECHO.
The 8th edition of the Practitioners’ Workshop on “Risk Reduction and Resilience in Asia” will be held in Bangkok, Thailand during 23-25 November 2015. Since 1999, disaster risk management practitioners in Asia have gathered every two years with the objectives of sharing, learning, stocktaking and consolidating good practice and networking focused on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR). Each meeting is organised around a central theme, which is seen as crucial in bringing the DRR agenda forward and contributing to national, regional and international DRR frameworks. The past meetings gathered between 100-300 practitioners’ from across the development and humanitarian sectors, and various other institutions including regional entities, UN agencies, NGOs, Red Cross/Crescent Movement, CSOs, Academia, Think-Tanks, etc.). Technical experts from relevant government agencies have also attended the previous workshops.
The 8th Practitioners’ Workshop is organised jointly by the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), with technical and resource support from the European Commission, Directorate-General for Humanitarian Aid (ECHO).
In order to maintain the momentum generated by the recently convened 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) held in Sendai and to ensure that early achievements will be adequately reported, the 8th Practitioners’ Workshop will provide an opportunity for practitioners to reflect on the outcomes of the 3rd WCDRR. The meeting is tailored towards technical discussions and translating the Sendai commitments into practice (i.e., ‘making it work on the ground’). During the 3 days of proactive discussions, we would focus on the following four key themes:
- Enhancing Community Resilience
- Expanding Preparedness for Response
- Innovation and Risk-Informed Development
- Mainstreaming DRR Within and Across Sectors – Focusing on Agriculture and Resilient Livelihoods
The outcomes are intended to contribute to the ongoing discussions on SFDRR implementation and shaping the agenda for the next regional and global conferences on DRR. Further details, regarding the 8
th edition of the Practitioners’ Workshop on “Risk Reduction and Resilience in Asia” is provided in the concept note.
Upon hearing from you, a formal invitation letter will be sent. There is a possibility of partial/full coverage of participation cost depending on the confirmation and availability of budget. Please send a line of confirmation to
Ms. Mareike Bentfeld (see details below) at your earliest.
How can you get involved?
This is a member event. For formal invitation and travel sponsorship, please communicate directly with the organisers. Send your expression of interest via email to عنوان البريد الإلكتروني هذا محمي من روبوتات السبام. يجب عليك تفعيل الجافاسكربت لرؤيته..
Downloads & Links
- Concept note: Res_10091501_ADPC_Practitioners_Workshop.docx181.72 KB
- ADPC website: http://adpc.net/igo/Default.asp