- Participants: Governor of Vava’u, Director NDMO, CEO Ministry of Internal Affairs, Director Tonga National Youth Congress, Director for Education, OIC Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry Food security and Fisheries, CSOs working on DRR, District officers, town officers, several Government agencies.
- Place: Nuku’alofa/,Neiafu | 23rd & 26th February 2016.
- Organisers: TCDT, with Climate Change Department and the Governor’s Office.
The programme Frontline uses research methodology to evaluate community resilience, to develop new approaches and actions as well as advocacy to build resilience toward disaster at local level.
Frontline uses selected disaster risk zones such as wetlands /Flood prone Area, coastal/Lowland Area, Rural/Coastal Area.
In Tonga, Frontline process was carried out by TCDT as National Coordinator and Tonga National Youth Congress (TNYC), Tonga Red Cross Society (TRCS), Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) Langafonua a Fafine Tonga, Act for Peace (PCIDRR), as participating Organization. It was carried out from February – March 2015 with 265 respondents from 2 islands, 12 villages.
On 23/26 February 2016 TCDT, together with a Government Ministries and NGO who are directly working on DRR, conducted a National Consultation workshop to discuss further the findings from the survey.
Outputs from the workshop
1. Feedback from the participants in relation to the survey results:
- Communities have different reaction according to the available resources that they have.
- It needs a wider scope of involvement in the survey to represent the Kingdom of Tonga
- Community needs awareness programs and CSO’s need to advocate more.
2. Identify opportunities to build partnerships with Civil Society Organizations (CSO) and governments Departments which work directly with DRR such as
- MEIDECC, MIA, MAFFF about disaster resilience in the community.
Commitments from stakeholders
- National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction:
• National Platform will host a consultation to develop National Platform strategic issues and follow-up on Frontline Survey’s and other Actors on DRR to be led by TRCS (Tonga Red Cross Society) and coordinated by TCDT.
- National Disaster Management Office.
• Offer to have their conference room use for the first meeting of the group.
- Ministry of Internal Affairs
• act as the Committees' communication center for CSOs in sharing experience on the field
• The committee are involved in different cluster and can bring up to date report on events on the field.
- • Learning action
- • Capacity building
- • Advocacy and campaign based on the key issues in each area, which might be integrated in the Education sector or any relevant sector
- • Engage in collaboration, coordination and partnership with different stakeholders in local level.
- Final Tonnga report Frontline 2016: FINAL_COUNTRY_REPORT_FRONTLINE_2016_Tonga.doc8.69 MB