A representation of GNDR members, among a party of 136 NGO Major Group representatives attended the first session of the Bureau of the Preparatory Committee for the 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction was held in Geneva 14-15th July 2014.We went there as co-organising partners, with the aim to read a statement on behalf of the NGO Major Group. The statement reflected the key messages outlined in a Joint Civil Society Position Paper that has been endorsed by more than 2,300 organisations, and in particular the need for:
- Policy coherence across the post-2015 development discourse;
- Including multi-stakeholders in the formal process; strengthening local capacities, particularly in relation to extensive “everyday” disasters;
- Creating a framework that is built on the realities and needs of affected populations;
- Recognising the roles, responsibilities, commitments and accountabilities of the different stakeholders.
The statement, read by María Verónica Bastías, was well received and reflected many of the Member States statements.
Here you can find a GNDR report with notes about:
- the event;
- feedback on the outcome on these two days;
- the next steps that GNDR will take (in conjunction with NGO and other Major Groups);
- and a link to a folder with the main contributions and outcome documents from the event.
- NGO_Major_Group_Statement_Prep_Comm_1_2014-7-14_v2_FINAL.docx 31.64 Kb
- GNDR_Report_1st_Prep_Comm_Geneva_14-15_July_2014.docx 372.61 Kb