Side Event | 9.00-11.00 | Sendai Civic Auditorium Meeting Room 5
Monday 16th March
Showcasing Innovation: Media and Communication for DRR
Organisers: BBC Media Action, GNDR, Netherlands Red Cross, Plan International, and the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
Media and communication can play a great role in saving the lives of people vulnerable to disasters. It can provide life-saving information, change attitudes towards risk, support dialogue that facilitates positive actions towards building resilience to future risks, and encourage greater accountability by governments and other stakeholders to safeguard the wellbeing of those at risk.
Over the past decade a number of innovative methods have been used to improve public awareness, education, and other positive actions to support disaster risk reduction (DRR). These include using broadcast media, videos, games, music, mobile phones and more.
When experts convene at the 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in Sendai, Japan, we have a special opportunity to celebrate the achievements realised to date on the Hyogo Framework under Priority Action 3: "Use knowledge, innovation and education to build a culture of safety and resilience at all levels".
The side event at the conference will showcase the best examples submitted and host a discussion, with a panel of experts, about why these samples are particularly innovative and effective.
The expected outcomes of the session are:
- Raise appreciation of the role media and communication can play in supporting DRR
- Inspire new ideas for using media and communication to reduce risk
- Increase understanding around good practices, lessons learned, and challenges
- Spark new relationships that will support future media & communications work
How can you engage?
- Attend this session: This session is open to all those attending the WCDRR.