6 July 2021
07:00 BST (GMT+1) | 09:00 EAT (GMT+2) | 11:30 IST (GMT+5:30) | 15:00 JST (GMT+9)
This event is organised by GNDR in collaboration with the United Nations World Food Programme (India). It is an official side event at Asia Pacific Climate Week 2021.
This event will focus on sharing the experiences, best practice and learning on building the climate resilience of communities most at risk. It is an opportunity to understand what localisation means in the context of climate resilience and the challenges of active decision making processes, at the local level.
While climate change adaptation actions are discussed at high levels, the challenges and impacts are felt by communities at the local level. Integrated and cohesive approaches, led by local actors and communities, need to be found. Development plans need to take into account the risks posed by climate change and other related extreme events.
The event will be a plenary discussion with opportunities for the audience to interact with the speakers through Q&A sessions. The key topics that will be discussed are:
- Impacts and challenges of the food and water insecurity in the Asia Pacific region
- Policy deliberations and gaps at the regional level on climate impacts
- Case study presentation on evidence of the impacts of climate change on communities most at risk
- Case study presentation on success stories of local leadership and resilience in tackling climate change through integrated approaches
- Understanding foods and water insecurity because of a changing climate on women at ground zero
- Challenges and opportunities for localising climate resilience under COP process
This webinar is aimed at grassroot level actors, civil society organisations, academics, UN agencies and government actors (at the local and national level).
- Pradnya Paithankar, United Nations World Food Programme (Asia)
- Jagdananda, Centre for Youth and Social Development (CYSD)
- Aditi Kapoor, Red Cross Climate Centre
- Kailash Chandra Dash, Regional Centre for Development Cooperation
- Jagannath Chatterjee, Regional Centre for Development Cooperation
- Gothami Chandraratne, Janathakshan GTE
- Anne Barre, Women Engage for a Common Future (WECF)
- Sanjay Vashist, Climate Action Network, South Asia
- Shivangi Chavda, GNDR