GNDR is only as strong as its members, and the network operates under the principle that we are fundamentally stronger together. The main benefits of belonging to the network are therefore focused around the enhanced opportunities for collaboration and the sharing of information that allows for Civil Society Organisations operating in the disaster risk reduction field to operate more effectively and to wield more influence.
The core benefits of belonging to the network for all members, regardless of their categorisation, can therefore be summarised as:
Greater impact – by bringing together Civil Society Organisations in the DRR community from all around the world, GNDR is able to increase the impact of civil society in influencing policies and practices at local, national and international levels.
Enhanced opportunities for collaboration – members are able to connect with each other more easily, to collaborate on specific projects or advocacy objectives and to partner with members and other actors.
Knowledge-sharing opportunities – a key advantage of membership is the ability of members to learn from each other’s experiences, thus improving the efficacy and effectiveness of member organisations. This includes the sharing of new and existing scientific and indigenous knowledge, information and practices amongst members and other stakeholders.
In addition to the above benefits, GNDR offers for free a number of specific, tangible benefits for all members:
- Access to the network’s online Community Platform, where members can connect by sharing stories, accessing learning opportunities and a library of resources, participating in discussions and polls, collaborating on documents and chatting with other members.
- Capacity-strengthening opportunities published in the Community Platform, including training, workshops and webinars.
- An invitation to participate or partner in our programme, including projects such as Views from the Frontline and Institutionalising Sustainable Community Based Disaster Risk Management.
- Access to a database of upcoming fundraising opportunities relevant for DRR actors.
- A roundup of relevant news and activities relevant to DRR via our quarterly newsletter. Members are automatically subscribed after their membership is approved.
- An invitation to participate at the GNDR biennial Global Summit.
- The opportunity to become part of GNDR's advisory and governance structures, such as the Regional Advisory Groups or the Global Board of regional representatives.
- Determination, through consultation, of the network’s main strategic objectives, presented in the form of a multi-annual strategy that will be the basis for the annual budgets and work plans.
- Support in registering for participation in intergovernmental DRR conferences at global and regional levels where GNDR is involved.
- Support, encouragement and profile-raising through association with GNDR.
Associate members (see below) receive all of the benefits outlined above for Full members. However, they may, in very few cases, have limited access to discussions or policy papers that are only of relevance to full member organisations. When resources are available to fund member participation in events, workshops, conferences and GNDR’s biennial Global Summit, priority will always be given to Full Members.
Categories of membership
In 2018, GNDR undertook a recategorisation exercise of its members. There are now three categories of members:
- Full Members: Organisations with full rights and obligations.
- Affiliate Members: Individuals that are directly affiliated to a Full Member.
- Associate Members: Individuals not affiliated to a Full Member, but are interested in the added value of being part of GNDR.
GNDR welcomes applications for Full Membership from all active civil society organisations and affiliated individuals who agree to share GNDR values. Associate Membership is open to individuals not affiliated to a Full Member or to non-civil society organisations and individuals with an interest in disaster risk reduction or simply observe, support and engage with GNDR. We also look forward to forming strategic Alliances and Partnerships with organisations and associations, to engage in joint actions and promote mutually reinforcing agendas that contribute towards shared goals and objectives.
What are you waiting for?
The application process for GNDR membership is free and there are no annual membership fees.
If you or your organisation are interested in being part of GNDR, applying for membership is easy: complete the online membership application form on this website, upload the documents reuested and submit the form.
We look forward to greeting you as a new member!