- Participants: GNDR members and key stakeholders from these regions
- Place: Windsor Suite and Convention Centre, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Organisers: GNDR Asia & Pacific Hub
- Supporters: We thank DFID and UNISDR for supporting this event
GNDR’s strategy ends at the end of 2015. As part of the development of the next three year strategy the network is consulting with its more than 850 members to review our 2012-2015 strategy and identify priorities for the coming period. In the development of the GNDR Strategy and Action plan 2016-2020 it is proposed that part of this process takes place at the regional level, to maximise ownership and participation by the membership and board members, with the support of the secretariat at global and regional level.
These processes will feed into GNDR’s overall global strategy by ensuring that some common, ‘golden thread’ concepts are covered but the design of the process, communication channels, timings, agenda, and approach will be particularly focused on regional realities.
The overall goals of the consultation process is to:
- Develop understanding of the external context of DRR and resilience in the region
- Develop understanding of the organisational and institutional roles relating to DRR and resilience, with a particular emphasis on the role of civil society
- Consider the role of GNDR in the region and globally, including suggesting priorities for the upcoming strategy process considering the organisation, governance, communications, and collaborations of GNDR and other networks and platforms at regional/national level; and
- Ensure the consultation process takes into account the wider differences in GNDR membership across the region and provide a balanced representation in terms of size, geographical spread and goals of individual GNDR member organisations in the region
In order to contribute to the GNDR global strategy process there are specific required outcomes from this process. Each region will be responsible for producing a regional picture of the priorities that will feed into the Global Board Strategy Committee to compile and consolidate the findings into a report. Each regional report will ensure that members have addressed the following 6 core areas:
- Comments and recommendations on the GNDR vision, purpose and objectives contained in the current strategy and recommendations for any changes for the coming strategy
- A problem statement concerning DRR and resilience addressing particular opportunities and challenges in the region from a civil society perspective; dominant threats and underlying causes at regional and country level; a stakeholder analysis of the key actors in the region; and a review of resource opportunities and challenges
- Comments and recommendations on organisation and coordination at regional and national, identifying ways in which GNDR can complement and collaborate with existing networks, platforms and organisations
- Suggestions on how GNDR’s governance arrangements be developed and strengthening
- Proposals for particular regional strategy elements and actions based on the problem statement and consistent with the vision, purpose and objectives of the network
- Proposals for particular global strategy elements and actions based on the problem statement and consistent with the vision, purpose and objectives of the network
How can you get involved?
Downloads & Links
- Agenda: Agenda_for_Asia_Pacific_Consolidation_Workshop.docx199.61 KB
- GNDR Strategy: GNDR strategy 2012-2015 ENGLISH3.12 MB
- Background document: Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction ENGLISH430.8 KB
- Background document: Membership_Mapping_-_Asia_Pacific_as_of_July_23_2015.pdf341.85 KB
- Background document: Partnering_Opportunties_-_Asia_Pacific.pdf115.51 KB
- Outcome document: Asia_Pacific_Strategy_Consultation_Report.pdf298.09 KB
- Outcome document: Annexes to the Report